The tenant has basic legal rights that are always present, no matter what the lease may say. These rights include all of the following:
- Limits on the amount of the security deposit that the landlord can require you to pay.
- Limits on the landlord’s right to enter the rental unit.
- The right to a refund of the security deposit, or a written accounting of how it was used, after you move.
- The right to sue the landlord for violations of the law or your rental agreement or lease.
- The right to repair serious defects in the rental unit and to deduct certain repair costs from the rent, under appropriate circumstances.
- The right to withhold rent under appropriate circumstances.
- Rights under the warranty of habitability.
- Protection against retaliatory eviction